Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Creativity Fun-damentals

I just returned from a long weekend in Paris.  I was there doing a keynote at the CREA Universite conference on creativity "fun-damentals."  I've written a book about creative process but it's clear to me that before a process can be highly effective one must practice the fundamentals.  

What are creativity fundamentals?  Simple things really, here is my list from the talk I gave at the conference:
  1. Writing things down in a notebook.
  2. Keeping lists of ideas.
  3. Regular review of your ideas to add onto lists, rule out some, take action on some.
  4. Always seeking new stimuli, to be in constant learning mode.
  5. An open mind that practices deferral of judgment as a way of life.
  6. To be an instigator of fun in all you do.
  7. To take risks and learn from failure.
  8. To have some way to remind yourself of  all the above.
Kudos to Crea Universite and Crea France for putting on a wonderful conference. To quote Joni Mitchell, I felt like "a free man in Paris, unfettered and alive."

1 comment:

Carl Dyke said...

Gregg,

That's a nice clean list. I'm going to print it out and post it in my creative workspace! I like your work!